Manchester City continues their winning form, defeats Leicester City 3-1

Manchester City continues their winning form, defeats Leicester City 3-1
Image by jorono from Pixabay

Manchester City eased to a 3-1 win over Leicester in the Premier League, with Erling Haaland scoring two goals and John Stones scoring one.

Saturday's 3-1 victory over Leicester in a Premier League fixture, demonstrated how effective the team has been since then. Scoring two goals in the first 13 minutes was essential to success and closing the gap to three points behind Arsenal at the top of the league is notable.

The home support had already been singing for John Stones when the centre-back lashed in a bouncing ball like Erling Haaland, whipping up even more noise in the stadium. The Norwegian was straight over to his teammate to show his appreciation for the strike.

Jack Grealish wanted a penalty soon after for a foul on the edge of the box, but only a corner was given. Leicester failed to clear their lines, allowing Grealish to whip the ball back in, where Wilfred Ndidi punched it away. The referee remained unmoved despite the many City players in his face, only for VAR to tell him to have another look at the monitor.

Haaland took hold of the ball, and Bernardo Silva quickly moved to the penalty spot to prevent Leicester's Victor Kristiansen from scuffing it up. City's No. 9 then calmly scored his 46th goal of the season, and Leicester's game plan was in ruins after just 13 minutes.

Thanks to a quick two-goal head start, Manchester City had the permission to do whatever they wanted as Leicester seemed unable or unwilling to put up a fight. They got a third goal within 25 minutes when Haaland latched onto a Kevin De Bruyne ball and finished well, equaling Mo Salah's record for the most Premier League goals (32) in a 38-game campaign.

Haaland did not get another opportunity to score, as he was withdrawn along with fellow goalscorer Stones at half-time, a further sign that the game was already over as a contest. Julian Alvarez and Manu Akanji came on, with Kalvin Phillips replacing Rodri shortly afterwards.

Nathan Ake and Ilkay Gundogan enjoyed the full 90 minutes from the bench, while De Bruyne and Grealish were also taken off.

After the top players were taken off, City's struggled in the second half. Riyad Mahrez had one shot at goal which Daniel Iversen could save but it was virtually the only chance they got. When Kalvin Phillips blocked Ederson's path at a corner, it left former City striker Kelechi Iheanacho with an easy tap-in to add a consolation.

The Blues earned their 10th consecutive win, giving them momentum going into their second-leg game against Bayern Munich next week, as well as positioning them to continue making strides towards winning the Premier League title.